Bharva Baigan is a traditional dish made in many parts of India. Bharva Baigan is prepared in different ways. It is made as a dry sabzi or with gravy. The gravy is prepared either using onion and tomato or with peanut or a combination of peanut and dry coconut.
Varieties of Baigan are available in the market. Large size weighing half to one kilo is used for preparing Baigan bharta. Small size Baigan are used to prepare Bharva Baigan. Black or green Baigan both can be used. Each differs in taste. I’m sharing Bharva Baigan recipe of Maharaistrian way, using green Baigan.
- Baigan(small green) – 8 to 10
- Groundnut – 1/2 cup
- Dry whole red chilli – 8 to 10
- Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin/jeera – 1 tsp
- Saunf/ fennel – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Coriander leaves – to garnish
- Wash the Baigan. Slit slightly at the center, to create a space for stuffing the masala.
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a kadhai. Add the Baigan. Let it cook. Add little water to cook. Add salt. Keep it aside and let it cool.
- Dry roast groundnut, coriander seeds, cumin/jeera and saunf separately. Roast whole red chilli using 1/2 tsp of oil. Let all the ingredients gets cool.
- Grind the roasted ingredients into a coarsely powder.
- Stuff the Baigan with this mixture. Keep aside the remaining mixture.
- Heat the remaining oil in a kadhai. Oil should not be too hot. Add the stuff Baigan and stir. Add little hot water and stir. Repeat twice.
- Add remaining dry mixture if want to make gravy. Add water accordingly, to the required consistency for gravy. Add salt.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot.