Bread upma is an easy, quick and good to taste recipe for breakfast. It is very convenient to make when in hurry, especially for working people. It requires few, easily available ingredients and takes very less time. It can be also packed in lunchbox for children. Bread upma is prepared using white or brown bread.
Bread is maximally used for breakfast, especially for making sandwiches and bread omelet. Many a times we end up having bread butter or bread jam. Try this simple recipe. There are varieties of bread in the market, say white bread, brown bread, multigrain etc. For this recipe the bread has to be salted one. So avoid using milk or sweet bread. I’m using brown bread for this recipe.
- Bread – 10 slice
- Peanut – ¼ cup
- Chopped green chilli – 3 to 4
- Tomato – 1 medium
- Curry leaves – 5 to 6
- Chopped potato – 1 small
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- If possible use nonstick kadhai to avoid sticking the bread at the bottom, also will require minimum oil as bread absorbs more oil.
- Crumble the bread with hands, don’t use grinder.
- Use the sides of the bread also, this will add crunchy taste.
- Remove seeds(pulp) from tomato and chop; otherwise the pulp will make the bread upma soggier.
- At the end when bread crumb is added mix immediately so that all the ingredients get properly and evenly coated over the bread.
- Don’t cook tomato. When tomato is added immediately follow the next step.
- Add less salt, as bread itself has salt.
- If by mistake bread upma become salty, add 1 tsp of sugar or 1 tsp of lemon juice.
- Crumble the bread.
- Heat oil in a kadhai.
- Add peanut and roast for a while on low flame.
- Then add potato. Add salt enough for potato. Let it cook.
- Add green chilli and curry leaves. Sauté for a while. Add turmeric powder.
- Add chop tomato.
- Add bread crumb and mix properly.
- Add salt. Mix it. Cover with lid for 5 mins.
- Serve hot.