The juicy, pulpy “Mango”….the king of fruits is back in season. Really summer brings back the life on track from cold winters. Although winters too have its own beauty & benefits. Summer is season for lot of fruits say mangoes, grapes, lychees, oranges and so on….the list grows longer. We call them seasonal fruits. It is always advisable to eat seasonal fruits. So enjoy those juicy grapes & pulpy mangoes to your heart’s content.
Mangoes are of many varieties, depending from place to place & climate. Each tastes differently. Alphonso, langra, dashheri, etc. Whatever the taste differs enjoy it till the season lasts. Season starts with raw mango also called Kairi.
In our childhood during the summer break we had different ways to relish kairi. Every garden would have one mango tree. We use to collect kairi, & eat them with mixture of salt & red chilli powder. It would taste sour, but believe me no other things would make us so happy. Miss those childhood days.
When we would be busy in these activities, our mothers were engaged in making various kairi recipes like pickles, chutneys, lunji(sort of chutney), jams(sakhar aamba called in Maharashtra). Every house would smell of sweet, sour, chatpata flavors. Every seasonal fruits & its recipes gives out some healthy benefits to our body. Follow all those grandma’s recipe if you want to follow their healthy secrets.It really helps us to balance our fast running Lifestyle.
One such recipe I am sharing is Kairi chutney/ Raw Mango Dip. It is sour, sweet & spicy making your taste buds live. Make it fresh to taste better. It is super easy.
- Chopped Kairi/ raw mango – 1 no
- Dry red chilli – 2
- Fresh mint leaves – ½ cup
- Coriander leaves – ¼ cup
- Jaggery powder(bhura) – ½ cup
- Salt – to taste
- Black salt – 1 tsp
- Chopped onion – ½ cup
- Cumin – 1 tsp
Let’s make it:
- Wash the kairi/raw mango properly to remove any oil residue as it cause irritation in throat.
- Chop kairi/raw mango & remove its seed.
- Dry roast red chilli & cumin.
- Grind all the ingredients to a smooth paste.
- Adjust the sweet and sour taste by adding Jaggery accordingly.
- Add one or two dry chilli if likes more spicy taste.
- Enjoy it with every meal.