Sahjan sabzi/Drumstick curry is a unique combined flavors of Drumstick and masala/condiments. Sahjan/Drumstick has a strong and appealing taste of its own. It is often used in sambhar recipe.
Sahjan/Drumstick is rich in nutrients. It is a good source of calcium and iron which is required for good bone health. Even the leaves and flowers of Sahjan/Drumstick tree are used as vegetable. The leaves are rich source of vitamin A, C & E, calcium, potassium & protein. It has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It can be included often in our diet for good health.
- Drumstick – cut into 3” long pieces
- Onion – 2 large
- Grated dry coconut – 1 cup
- Chopped Coriander leaves – 1 cup
- Coriander seed – 2 tsp
- Cumin/jeera – 1 tsp
- Garlic – 3-4 cloves
- Ginger – 1” long
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 2 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Wash and cut the Sahjan/Drumstick into 3” long pieces. Cook it in water. Add salt. Avoid overcooking i.e. the drumstick should not break. On pressing it should be soft. Switch off the gas and keep it aside.
- For the gravy, cut the onion lengthwise. in a pan shallow fry it till golden brown by adding little oil . Let it cool.
- Dry roast grated coconut, coriander seed and cumin/jeera.
- Grind the fried onion, roasted coconut, coriander seed, cumin/jeera and coriander leaves to a paste.
- Heat oil in a kadhai. Add the paste. Add ½ tsp of salt. Let it cook on slow flame till the paste leaves oil. Salt will enhance the process. Stir occasionally.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and mix.
- Add the cook Sahjan/Drumstick to the cooked masala. Mix properly.
- Add salt to taste. Adjust the water according to the consistency of the gravy required.
- Bring to boil and simmer the flame. Let it cook for 5 mins.
- Serve with roti or rice.