Tori/ Turai Ka Bharta is a unique Maharastrian traditional recipe. Commonly Baigan Ka Bharta or Aloo Baigan Bharta are common dish. Tori/ Turai Ka Bharta is made specially towards Khandesh area in Maharashtra. (Available fresh during the rainy season). Tori with its mild distinct taste combined with green chilli, garlic and peanut gives a perfect taste to the dish. Tori also called as sponge gourd is a very healthy vegetable. It is low in fat and easy to digest. Fresh tori has a mild sweetness.
- Tori – 500 gm
- Green chilli – 8 to 10
- Garlic – 6 to 8 cloves
- Curry leaves – 6 to 8
- Peanut – ¼ cup
- Cumin/jeera – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves – ¼ cup
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Hing/Asafoetida – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Wash and slice tori in even circles, not too thin not too thick.
- In a pressure cooker heat 1 tsp of oil. Add sliced tori and mix. Add salt to taste. Do not add too much salt as tori will be reduced to almost half the quantity after cooking.
- Cook till 2 whistle on medium flame.
- In a pan roast whole green chilli and garlic with 2 to 3 drops of oil. Let it cool. Grind into a coarse paste.
- Take the cooked tori in a bowl. Add chilli garlic paste to it. Smash the cooked tori roughly.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a kadhai. Add peanuts and roast on low flame. Add cumin/jeera, mustard seeds, curry leaves and hing/asafoetida. Add turmeric powder and mix.
- Add smashed tori and mix. Add salt according to taste and mix.
- Cook for 5 mins.
- Add chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with chapatti or bajra/jowar ki roti.